10 January 2010
Firefighters contain Fire in their Station
Firefighters are tackling a fire in Tobermory Community
Fire Station, on the Island of Mull.
Firefighters are currently tackling a fire in the roofspace of
Tobermory Community Fire Station on the island of Mull.
The fire was detected at 6.30pm tonight by one of the crew
commanders based at the two-pump Retained station. The crew
commander and his colleagues quickly moved the pumps out of the
appliance bay and then used them to tackle the fire which appears
to have originated in the ceiling space of the lecture room.
After the fire was detected, arrangements were quickly made to
move the fire appliance from the neighbouring Craignure Volunteer
fire station, to Tobermory to provide fire cover for the
As at 20.45, the fire is under control. Firefighters are using a
thermal imaging camera to look for hot spots and are cutting back
the ceiling to extinguish any residual fire. Power has been
restored to the station but its telephones are still out of
action. We stress, however, that it is business as usual where
fire cover for Mull is concerned. Tonight's incident has not reduce
our ability to tackle fires and other emergencies on the
Strathclyde Fire & Rescue congratulates the Tobermory
firefighters for the way that they have tackled and contained the
fire. This serves to remind everyone that fires can start
anywhere - even in fire stations!
Strathclyde Fire & Rescue would like to take advantage of
tonight's unfortunate occurrence to remind the public of the need
to guard themselves and their families against the risk of fire -
particularly in the run up to Bonfire Night.
For fire safety advice please go to our website
www.strathclydefire.org. For a free Home Fire Safety Visit
please phone Strathclyde Fire & Rescue on freephone 0800 0731
There is no further information at this time.
UPDATE AT 21:52
The fire that broke out this evening at Tobermory Community Fire
Station on the Isle of Mull has now been extinguished by the
station's Retained firefighters.
The station's two fire pumps are now back in the engine bay
ready to attend future incidents. The only part of the station's
operating ability affected by the fire is the lecture room used for
training. This facility will be restored as soon as
A small part of the roof was broken through by firefighters
cutting out smouldering timber.
Paul Connelly, Strathclyde Fire & Rescue's Area
Commander for Argyll & Bute, said: "I'd like to congratulate
the Tobermory firefighters for the speedy and efficient way in
which they dealt with the fire.
"I'd like to repeat an earlier reminder from Strathclyde Fire
& Rescue that this is a warning to all of us that fire can
start anywhere. We are only too happy to provide free fire
safety advice to prevent the kind of incident that we ourselves
experienced at Tobermory."