23 December 2012
House fires injure three people overnight
Crews come to the aid of trapped residents
The first fire involved an elderly man who was rescued from a
blaze at his Larkhall home this morning.
The fire broke out at the property in Croft Place at approximately
6am - with reports of one person being inside the property.
Appliances from Larkhall, Hamilton and Coatbridge Community Fire
Stations attended and the crews immediately sprung into
Firefighters donned full breathing apparatus and fought their way
through the smoke to search for any occupantsd.
Locating one elderly male resident, the firefighters removed
him from the property and passed him to the care of the
Scottish Ambulance Service as he was suffering from smoke
inhalation and burns.
Crews were on the scene for some time and the incident is the
subject of a joint investigation by SFR's Incident Research and
Investigation Section (IRIS) and Strathclyde Police.
The second incident involved a fire in a tenement property in
Johnstone again around 6am this morning.
The fire broke out at the property in High Street - with reports of
people being inside the properties.
Appliances from Johnstone and Paisley Community Fire Stations
attended and again the crews donned full breathing
apparatus and fought their way through the
smoke finding that discarded material had been set alight
in the close of the tenement building.
One female resident was led to safety and was suffering from
slight smoke inhalation. Firefighters administered oxygen therapy
whilst awaiting the arrival of the Scottish Ambulance
Firefighters also administered oxygen therapy to a Strathclyde
Police Officer who suffered from slight smoke inhalation after
entering the close of the tenement whilst trying to assist the
householders before the arrival of SFR. The officer was passed to
the care of the paramedics and was taken to hospital as a
precaution. This incident highlights the importance of ensuring
combustible material is never stored or left in communal stairways
of tenements and flats.
These incidents, which struck in the early hours of the morning,
show how fire can strike anywhere at any time. Strathclyde Fire
& Rescue is urging the public to Join the Fight
against Fire and help prevent tragedy over the festive
Winter, particularly the festive period, usually results in a rise
in the number of serious house fires and casualties and there
are a number of lifestyle factors which can greatly increase your
chances of being the victim of a serious house fire.
Excessive alcohol consumption is often a significant contributory
factor and smoking or cooking under the influence of alcohol can be
a fatal combination. Additionally, groups such as older people and
those with long term illnesses or medical conditions are
Chief Officer Brian Sweeney believes everyone needs to be aware the
risks apply to them. He said: "The festive season always sees a
marked rise in incident numbers, with increased risks from the
lethal combination of alcohol, cooking and cigarettes.
"We are asking the public to
Join the Fight against Fire and help keep our communities
safe this Christmas. The advice is simple; get a smoke alarm fitted
and make sure the battery works; don't cook under the influence;
and take extra care with cigarettes, open and electrical fires and
other fire risks.
"We need to accept fire can strike anywhere; it can happen to us
all, and we need to take action to prevent it. It is vital that
every home has at least one working smoke alarm."
To arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit for you or someone you
know - like an elderly or vulnerable relative, friend or neighbour
- call Strathclyde Fire & Rescue on 0800 0731 999 or text
"check" to 61611. Further information on how you can help protect
your home from fire this winter is available on this website.