02 May 2012
Crews tackle chemical spill in Glasgow's Mitchell Library
Busy 24 hours for crews as they attend 110 incidents across
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a chemical spill in Glasgow's Mitchell
Library yesterday during a busy 24-hours that saw crews attend 110
incidents across the Strathclyde area.
At around 9.30am crews from Cowcaddens, Yorkhill and Calton were
called to the historic library following reports of a chemical leak
in the basement.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find that the leak was coming
from the inhibitor unit of the central heating system. Crews
wearing breathing apparatus sets isolated and contained the leak
and requested that one of SFR's Scientific Advisors be mobilised to
the scene as a precaution.
Once on the scene, the Scientific Advisor carried out a number
of tests on the liquid to confirm that it was safe before
firefighters washed away the spill and removed the faulty part of
the heating system, bringing the incident to a quick and safe
Meanwhile, at around 11.25am crews from Girvan and
Colmonell were called to the car park at Chalmers Arcade in Girvan
following reports of a road traffic collision. Crews arrived
on scene to find a man and a woman trapped in a vehicle after they
had reversed into a wall. Firefighters worked with ambulance
service staff to make the vehicle safe enough to remove the
casualties before both were taken to Ayr Hospital, by ambulance,
for further treatment.
Finally, firefighters from Pollok came to the rescue of a child
yesterday, who had trapped his leg between the bars of a metal
bench on Riverford Road. Crews worked quickly to help the boy
free his leg, before he was checked at the scene by paramedics as a